Adjunct Opportunities Online
Critical Needs are currently in Astronomy, World Languages, and Anthropology.
Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA) through its Extended Learning Institute (ELI) is now accepting applications for adjunct faculty in a variety of subject areas. Please take a look at the information we maintain on the following webpage http://bit.ly/SskH19. This information will help you gain a better understanding of the expertise faculty are required to have in order to teach for ELI.
Potential candidates are expected to have received a Master’s Degree and have successfully completed 18 graduate credit hours in the discipline to be taught. We further expect that the candidate has had online teaching experience as well as skill with learning management systems (Blackboard preferred). While not having the latter skills does not necessarily exclude you from teaching for ELI please note that you may be asked to perform certain training to enter into our faculty pool.
If, after reviewing this information, you are interested in and are qualified to teach for ELI, we ask that you complete our Faculty Readiness Assessment located athttp://bit.ly/ZAwsbU. This form will take approximately 15 minutes to fill out and requires that you submit certain materials. To be prepared to complete the form in one sitting have the following information accessible:
• A list of courses you are able to be credentialed to teach – A list of courses currently offered through ELI can be found at http://eli.nvcc.edu/courses.htm.
o Again, please remember that to teach in a specific discipline area you must have completed at least 18 graduate hours of coursework in that field.
• A current copy of your resume or CV
• A copy of unofficial transcripts for any graduate work you have completed
o If you are a current NOVA employee you need not re-submit
o If you are a non-NOVA candidate, if a copy of your transcripts is not submitted we will not consider your application
• A detailed summary of how your experience using the Blackboard course management system (or comparable course management system(s), align to our expected Blackboard competencies found at http://novaonline.nvcc.edu/minitutorials/elibbcompetencies.pdf
o Please include reference to any formal learning management system training you have completed
• A list of any special training you have completed related to online teaching (example: online teaching certifications, Quality Matters™, VCCS TOP/IDOL courses, training, etc.)
• A brief summary of your teaching philosophy, why you are interested in teaching online ELI and what strengths you feel you will bring to the online teaching and learning environment
Once you have completed your submission your candidacy will be reviewed for potential inclusion in our faculty pool. Our needs are dependent on student enrollment, which continues to grow, so time from inclusion to the pool to section assignment can vary. Note, inclusion in the faculty pool does not guarantee immediate placement in our schedule. Currently, our most critical needs are in Astronomy, World Languages and Anthropology.
Faculty Developer & Assistant Professor
Northern Virginia Community College
Extended Learning Institute (http://eli.nvcc.edu)